Foothill Municipal Water District
“We will reliably deliver quality water to our member agencies in a cost-efficient manner to meet their projected demands.”
Foothill Municipal Water District (FMWD) was incorporated on January 7, 1952 to help meet the increased water needs of the rapidly growing foothill communities following the end of World War II.
Community leaders, and ultimately voters, saw the need to supplement local groundwater with water imported by the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD). At that time, MWD delivered Colorado River water into the Southern California region for about 10 years through its Colorado River Aqueduct.
Since then, MWD also received water from the California State Water Project in 1972. Foothill officially joined Metropolitan in 1953 and today is one its 26 member agencies. Director Richard Atwater represents FMWD on the MWD Board of Directors.